Life's Like That

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Phew...long time indeed

So much has happened since my last post that I don't quite know where to start. Life changing stuff is underway, not the least of which is that I have quit my job. Yes! Ladies and gentlemen I am officially a bored lady of leisure and let me tell you, its a tough life. Man! Who knew there is so much to do around the house!? And you dont even get paid for cleaning behind the fridge and organising the cabinets and labelling the kitchen jars. Gah!

People's reaction when I tell them I have quit my job are...interesting, for lack of a better word. Some assume that this is a temporary thing and I am definitely going to rejoin the workforce in a few months time. Some are overly enthusiastic about it. Some, like EB, tell me I'm a fool and I should have stuck it out for some more time and remind me (like I need to be reminded of this particular fact) in his kind sensitive manner of the amount of money I'm losing out on. None can argue on the reason behind my quitting without seeming heartless and insensitive..its that compelling a reason trust me, but some have this look on their faces, like they are thinking "Nyaka! As if noone else in the world had pregnancy complications". My mother, typically, oscillates between telling me that quitting my stressful crazy job was the best decision I have ever taken, and that it was the worst thing I could have done with my life...that I will be bored and depressed beyond belief and will deeply regret it soon.

Happily, that day has not arrived yet. Sure, there are days when I cant think of a reason to get out of bed (that usually lasts till the hunger pangs set in and then Im out in a flash) but on the whole I'm at peace with my decision. The job was..well..it was just that..a job. I never felt connected to what I was doing. In fact, many a time, I doubted the point of the whole exercise...lifestyle PR especially. The job, the office where I worked was insane. There was no switching off from work. We all were, literally, on call 24x7. I understand thats how the field is, and that the concept of worklife balance in India is nonexistant but the stress was killing. The last straw was the unexpected complication in the first trimester. I was convinced it was because of the job and the stress. I spent 3 weeks of strict bedrest weighing the pros and cons of quitting. There was no doubt that I would have to take things a little easy in the months to come. There was also no doubt that I would not be able to take it easy in my job. To make matters even more difficult, Im one of those people who have grave ethical problems about taking salary and then saying that I would not be able to handle events or go for meetings...even if I did have very compelling reasons for both. The only pro in the situation that I could see, was the money. And as the boy put it, no amount of money would compensate if something went seriously wrong with the pregnancy. So I quit.

Ive been home for 2 months now. I feel better, physically. Its nice not to have to drag myself out of bed at 7.30 am everyday and drive to work even if I have had a rough night. Its nice to be able to take a nap in the middle of the day if I am feeling exceptionally tired. Its nice to be able to read whenever I want. Its nice to get the time to try n resurrect my dead blog. But the nicest thing of all? Having a HOT lunch everyday. Those of you with microwaves in office will never be able to appreciate this. I spent the first trimester shoving stone cold dabba food down my throat with copious amounts of water, while muttering "No you cant throw it up, the baby needs food", so yes a hot lunch is right at the top of of my list of all that is good with my life right now. If only some freelance writing work would come my way, along with some nice paychecks, my life would even be perfect :)

Now, excuse me, I have to go and check on the chocolate cake thats in the oven right now. Yeah, one of the other nice things...Im discovering a hithertho unknown masterchef within me. Im pretty awesome..even though I say so myself :D hopefully this blog will have plenty of content henceforth..recipes and tales of my kitchen related awesomeness if nothing else.

11 Comments:

  • hurray u r back...i have always been a lurker on other's blogs..but was so happy to see ur post that i thought of coming out (pun unintended)....good luck for many more of such entertatining posts...

    By Anonymous Debati, at 4:38 AM  

  • good one Ron! keep up the spirit!enjoy this phase n keep posting...

    By Blogger Amrita, at 11:27 AM  

  • Hey Ron! Glad to see you back. Congratulations on the good news. I think you’ve taken a very good decision given the circumstances. You will be happy to know your commenter formerly known as GM has succumbed and started blogging (almost) regularly :)

    By OpenID gargimehra, at 1:13 AM  

  • What about the solid go-for-it-girl friends, eh?

    By Anonymous Shrabonti, at 1:53 AM  

  • Hey Ron! Great to have u back on the blogosphere! Believe me, I share your plight....have quit too, and ahem...quite liking it (ppl will kill me for saying this..was never one of those career types u know!!) I think joblessness rocks, and now I plan to take my sweet revenge like the other aunties in my bulding, and take a walk downstairs, fresh as a daisy, while the workaholics come home sweaty and exhausted!*evil laugh*
    love and take care, Reena

    By Blogger Reena, at 9:49 PM  

  • Yaaaay, you are back. Beleive me, I am so happy to see you blogging again. And, a very hearty congratulations. :-)

    -Pramodini

    By Blogger Pramodini, at 1:16 PM  

  • Tutuldi: :D thanks for the inspiration.

    Amrita: Thanks

    Gargi: Yaaaay I will check it out nooowww.

    Reena: I will call you soon to discuss the joys of joblessness.

    Shrabonti but that goes without saying.

    Pramodini Thank you:)

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:33 PM  

  • Recently I was searching for something related to Purulia, and got directed to one of your posts from 2006. While reading the post I glanced at the url and realized I knew you at that time - many years ago. Search engines can do pretty interesting things these days.
    After that revelation, read quite a few of the posts - you do have a great gift of writing. Enjoyed each and every of them. Do keep writing.
    Best wishes to you and your family!

    By Blogger Siddhartha, at 11:51 AM  

  • Siddhartha, I just discovered your comment on that old post! My god! Talk about a blast from the past! God bless Google :) interesting to know that my grandmother did actually deliver that letter! And no I never did get your reply.

    By Blogger Ron, at 5:11 AM  

  • @Ron: I had the same "blast from the past" feeling when I was reading your blog. God indeed bless Google - I actually work in that company as well :)
    I don't remember who delivered the letter - most likely not your grandmother, but the other dada who used to work upstairs (I am totally blanking out on his name - it's been ~16/17 years). I remember posting a reply, and carrying that letter with me for months.

    By Blogger Siddhartha, at 12:13 PM  

  • Oh .. and I don't know how you know Sagnik (in your blogroll), but he was my roommate in San Diego for three years or so :)

    By Blogger Siddhartha, at 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home