Life's Like That

Friday, January 15, 2010

A break from people...

There was a solar eclipse today. And I ate my lunch while it was happening. Oh my goodness!!! My ears will surely shrivel up and fall off. Or maybe my toes will curl up and whither. The consequences of this dreadful act definitely cannot be good. What? Scientific proof relating the two things? Of course there is scientific proof. There was an article somewhere, that said something about the sun's rays penetrating brick mortar cement, steel plastic ceramic etc to reach the food inside the dabba inside the room inside the building and poisoning it completely.

Well, I took my chances. My ears seem fine. As do my toes. I don't think I'm dead or comatose either. The person warning me of dire consequences was not some illiterate ancient person from the hinterlands, but a well educated young woman who has lived in Bangalore all her life, works for an MNC, travels all over the world...basically the last person one would expect this sort of reaction from.

Did you know that planetary alignments can really result in a girl being the cause of her husband's death? That is to say, manglik women do exist and its a biiiiiiiig tabboo? Its better not to take a chance and marry a manglik girl. This was from someone who spent most of his formative years abroad. His family belongs to what one would call "elite" society. He himself is highly educated and works for a multinational giant.

A young woman is unhappy with her husband because he came home late from work on her first karva chauth. At 11 p.m. He does come home at that time on most days, because the nature of his work is such, but she feels he could have made one exception and ensured he returned home at a decent hour, given she had been without food and water the whole day. But did you know, it was ridiculous on the girl's part to expect her husband to make any sort of an effort on her behalf? He is a MAN and men have WORK. So what if she holds a challenging job and managed to fast through a hectic day at work? So what if she somehow managed to leave work in time to be back for the puja? Men and women cannot be the same na. This from someone who is educated and otherwise quite modern in her outlook. Hence the double shock at this opinion.

A man had an extramarital affair. He was justified because his wife would be ill most of the time and men have needs that must be satisfied at all costs? This from an aged person, so I suppose one can try and ignore her.

Did you know yoga was a Hindu form of exercise and if one is from a different religion then one must not practise it? This from a highly educated bureaucrat.

I know this guy. Brahmin. Utter loser, terrible at his work, no friends...universally disliked. I am better off than him in every way possible. But did you know, he is still superior to me? Because he is Brahmin and I am not?

Did you know whether you and your partner want to have children right now is immaterial. The whole point is that your aunt has to answer all these people about why you havent had a child yet. Therefore you need to go procreate right now.

Neither my parents nor Rahuls wanted to match kundalis. In my case, I dont have one since my parents dont believe in it. Noone tried to match out castes either. But , a random visitor to your in laws house can look at you suspiciously and say "Oh Bengali...caste kya hai? Arre you didnt find out her caste and got them married also!!!? How could you do that? Pata nahi kaun se caste ki hai!?" The rules of civil society prevented us from physically throwing her out of the house. Unfortunately.

I could go on. Too many instances of ridiculous superstition, discrimination, sexism and idiocy. All from urban, educated people mind you. I have had it with people. I want a break from stupidity, from narrow minded foolish prejudices and opinions. Desperately needed : a mental detox program to get these odious people and their poisonous opinions out of my mind.

12 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Gowri Sudhindra, at 4:07 AM  

  • Good read, Ron... very typical examples. The "satisfying a man's needs" takes the cake! Will a woman with a sick husband get the license to have an extra-marital affair??!!! - Gowri

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:09 AM  

  • This is when ppl like ricky gervais, allen parker, george carlin and eddie izzard come to the rescue. The unfortunate truth is that oue cretinous society is full of people who will run to a god on seeing a solar eclipse. And reach out to a priest when it comes to marriage. And look at the stars when it comes to taking a decision.to quote carlin - just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of all ppl are even stupider! What I do is, make a blank face, pity them, and youtube eddie izzard. Bcoz, as your blog says - life's like that.

    By Blogger Soham Pablo, at 4:42 AM  

  • Ron - sometime back I tried to form a separate state in India where such ridiculous people (to be politically correct) will not be allowed ... I even vowed to call the new state India++ ... somehow the idea did not fly too well ... sigh ...
    have to live with the scum now ... and the worst part is that you find the US overrun with such specimens ... and then you have to describe "the real India" to your American colleagues ... sigh :(

    By Blogger Venky, at 7:22 AM  

  • I totally agree. Life would have been so peaceful without such people and their stupid beliefs.

    By Anonymous Roushni, at 9:08 AM  

  • Hee hee hee
    Reminded me of my conversation with a girl in my office yesterday. She was not going to eat till after the eclipse got over, and she'd got a change of clothes so she could have a bath. I don't grudge her what she wants to do, but when she went on and on about how she was not being blindly superstitious (she said it, not me - I didn't even imply it), but that there was a scientific basis for it. That the UV light affected the interstines, or some such nonsense. That was when I lost it.
    I told her that (a) uV light could not penetrate layers of brick and mortar, and even if they did, there was nothing in an eclipse that caused so much more uV light for it to become dangerous.
    It got nasty, but I dug in. I can deal with stupidity, but I refuse to allow stupid people to rationalise using logic.

    By Blogger Rayna M. Iyer, at 3:56 AM  

  • And girl, you procreate when you want to. Don't let the Aunties upset you.
    We had an Aunty who went badmouthing me (or at least she used 'career minded bitch as a derogatory - I think it was a compliment) for not having a kid even five years after marriage.
    Her daughter in law has been married six years, and there is no sign of a baby in the horizon. And I take immense pleasure in reminding her of it, and am told that she's 'left it to them, because it is there choice'. Incidentally, the girl is not even working.

    By Blogger Rayna M. Iyer, at 4:00 AM  

  • nice draft on the true instances...
    India and Indians will never change....hey about having a kid, I can so well relate since its the rest of relatives who are worried than hubby and myself...nothing is gonna change...

    By Blogger Shrutzz, at 9:52 PM  

  • The world is so full of nosy, interfering ans stupid people:(
    Detox as best as you can. Hang in there, and know that there are people who do respect other people's choices.

    By Blogger dipali, at 1:35 AM  

  • A colleague was telling me of how her in-laws made her tie her feet to the bed when she was pregnant during an eclipse.
    I was speechless.

    By Blogger Dreamcatcher, at 2:53 AM  

  • I was eight months pregnant and my bladder would get full quite often. I was asked not to move, even to the toilet because it was eclipse! Fortunately, my dad came to my rescue!!

    By Blogger radhika, at 6:01 AM  

  • @Gauri, I am not sure how the person in question would have reacted if it had been the other way around.

    @Soham and Venky, siigh.

    @Roushni, you need to ignore them more than me :P

    @Rayna, oh god the aunties and their obsession with procreation!!! gah!

    @Shrutzz only way is to pretend temporary deafness.

    @Dipali, temporary deafness it is :P

    @DC aargh my colleague actually tried to stop me from eating. Grrr.

    @Radhika OMG!!! Thank GOD for your Dad!!

    By Blogger Ron, at 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home