Life's Like That

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Since my last post, I have:

Been to Chandigarh where amongst other things, I had to touch the boy's feet and was told I should wear yellow on Thursdays and informed that I would have 2 sons (the horror!). More importantly, I met my nephew for the first time. I think he likes me, I can tell by the way he drooled all over my hand/ shoulder whenever I was carrying him around. He also blew spit bubbles and babbled as I attempted to feed him, sure sign of eternal louve if there ever was one.

Been to Delhi where we met old friends, wandered around town, almost became a permanent fixture at Dilli Haat, bought curtains, befriended a slightly psycho German Shepherd, patted and played with same German Shepherd, met old relatives and newly related to relatives and learnt to make awesome bhindi. Also, I encountered an endangered species: a nice honest auto driver. He agreed to ferry us from Delhi Haat to Vasant Kunj after being asked just once, he chatted about Delhi then and now all the way there, on being given Rs. 100 when we reached Vasant Kunj, he exclaimed yeh toh bahut zyada hai. We said nahi rakh lo bhaiya. He said nahi nahi and insisted on returning Rs. 20. We had told him to return only Rs. 10. At this juncture my friend fainted and we had to carry her to her apartment and ply her with restorative beverages.

Eaten: Aloo parathas with melting white butter on top, aloo sabzi and puri, gajar ka halwa, tandoori chicken, noodles, momos, tikkis, choley, rajma, kadhi chawal, dal makhani, dum aloo, palak paneer, paneer makhani, gajar ka murabba, gulab jamun, dahi bhallas, fruit beer, assorted namkeen, butter chicken, samosas, kheer, baingan bharta.....I think Im forgetting some more.

Been to Agra and Mathura where we befriended 2 Malaysian girls, one Bangalorean boy, one German boy, one Russian American man. I was quizzed about my caste by German boy in front of a Krishna temple (which apparantly marks the exact spot where he was born...go figure). German boy did not believe me when I said I was'nt sure which caste I belonged to. He said being Indian and Hindoo there was no way I could'nt know. I said well I guess Im a bad Indian and a terrible Hindu and proceeded to eat extremely awesome samosas. Said German boy also did not believe that my parents did not force me into marrying a random stranger whom I had never met before. This, despite seeing me interact with Rahul all day and hearing about how we met. I despair for this German boy.

Been to Chennai where we wrapped up a 33 year old household. We packed 33 years of my in laws life into cardboard boxes to be carted away to Chandigarh. Where will begin a new chapter. We uncovered a suitcase full of old albums with priceless pictures. Which are now with me in Bangalore. Waiting to be restored and scanned and uploaded. I will miss Chennai.

Tripped and stubbed my toe on my way to my car. Uprooted toenail. Called the Boy only to be told to call later he was in a meeting. Driven myself home through a hazy blur of excruciating pain. Thrown the mother of all tantrums upon Boy's return home, displayed bloody toe with remains of toenail and howled some more. Justifiably told him that I have friends who are more concerned about my toe than he is ( you know who you are..hugssssss...now when is the treat at Spiga?

Been forced to attend a client event at 8 a.m. Events at 8 a.m. are a form of corporate torture. Reached venue bleary eyed and yawning at 8.10 a.m. to find the place full of CEO types....bubbling with enthusiasm and energy..raring to go. Realized, in between massive yawns, that I will never EVER be CEO. Amen.

Now I want to sleep. And read. And sleep some more. I don't want to cook or clean or worry about cooking or cleaning. I want food to appear by my bedside magically. I want a soothing backrub. I want clothes to unpack themselves and put themselves away neatly in the cupboards. I want a driver. I want to be on a permanent vacation. At home. Thank you very much. Good night.

7 Comments:

  • loved everybit of what uv written....lady u write so well....

    By Blogger Sudipta, at 9:31 AM  

  • Sudipta, i agree with you. Ron so nicely written! Get well sooon.

    By Blogger Annapoorna R Shinu, at 11:41 PM  

  • Hugs? Are you sure? I thought you hated hugs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 AM  

  • Dunno why that went as anonymous.

    By Anonymous Shrabonti, at 12:04 AM  

  • YES! You forgot Kababs. I'm hoping you ate some.
    And Dilli Haat is on my list next week. Will have to drag a kicking and screaming Boy there!
    :-)

    By Blogger Polo, at 10:32 AM  

  • I hope your toe is healing well. Oh to be in Dilli, now that winter's here!

    By Blogger dipali, at 6:06 AM  

  • Sudipta and Annu thank you. In addition to the toe, I also shut the door on my finger which turned black and blue. Also I had an eye infection, a backache and an upset tummy. What a week.

    Shrabonti, as long as Im the one initiating the hugs Im ok. I hate it when people I don't know or don't consider friends insist on hugging me. So, when is the treat at Spiga?

    @Polo...ah yes the kababs. Siigh.

    @Dipali: Oh the toe paled in comparison once I had slammed the door on my finger. Was not a pleasant week. Hows your mother doing? Recuperating well I hope?

    By Blogger Ron, at 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home