Life's Like That

Friday, July 14, 2006

Holiday Spirit...

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I'm off to Calcutta on Monday morning. For 10 days. Do any of you realize what this means? This means I have a 10 day break from clients and journalists. *cheshire cat like grin*. This means no responsibilities and no buying Vim and Ezee and atta. This means that I will sleep late and wake up late and eat Mummy's cooking (alu posto and alu deowa chicken curry have been demanded and promised) . This means I can meet SD and SR and RD and all the rest of them and have a thoroughly enjoyable time. This means alu kabli and phuchka and chicken roll. This means Gariahat and New Market. This means mishti doi and dorbesh and old books near Golpark. This means sheer unadulterated BLISSSSSSSSSSS.
Oh and it also means wedding shopping, which should be fun, but thats besides the point. Or is it really? For the first time in my life Im excited about shopping.
In all the excitement I have sent the wrong press releases to the wrong people, sent numerous mails without attachments, demanded pictures from people who are not supposed to have pictures in the first place and told my boss that he is a prize idiot. On the positve side I have tried to finish off as many pending things as possible, close loose ends, and done a very detailed hand over document. I have also done a lot of shopping for everybody at home and bought very nice gifts too. All in all I think Im a verrrry good girl,*halo shines over head, harp twangs are heard*
I have nothing much to say about anything, but will leave you with a few random and interesting snippets from my life over the past few days.
  • This colleague of mine, from Delhi called and enquired how long it would take for us to go from Bangalore to Karnataka. She went on to say that they have this Karanataka based client so they have asked the Chennai office to look after it, but we would need to do little bit of work when he came to Bangalore and maybe even travel to Karnataka. On being explained the concept of states and state capitals, she said that to her (rather underdeveloped and ignorant mind) Chennai and Hyderabad comprised the whole of South India, and Bangalore, although somewhere near to South India was like a separate entity that just existed.."because of all the IT ya". Does anyone here need me to explain and justify, once again, my attitude towards people from that city?
  • Rahul very kindly and helpfully gave my dirty clothes to be ironed and put my washed clothes in the wash basket to be washed again. So I now have one set of dirty but ironed clothes and one set of clean but unironed clothes. Therefore, in effect I have nothing to wear. All because I was dealing with a headache last evening and told the boy to give my clothes to the istriwalla instead of doing it myself. Siiigh!!
  • My mother wants me to buy 4 giant tubes of Promise toothpaste from Bangalore and carry to Calcutta because apparantly you dont get Promise toothpaste there and its the only thing that gets her sensitive teeth clean.
  • I created a huge scene in Food Bazar day before yesterday,because this guy harrassed me and passed one comment too many. By the time I was done with him, he was snivelling and begging for forgiveness and saying that I was like his sister. Bastard. Since he was wearing the ID card of his company, and therefore still representing his company, I felt free to call his HR dept (I knew someone there) and lodge an official complaints. Hopefully he got into some trouble at work.
  • I have learnt to make dal makhni. Am very glad about this development in my life since I love dal makhni.
  • I just heard of my colleague's client who refused to allow a journalist enter this very "exclusive" party she was hosting because she did not like her hair. Another journalist was discreetly prevented from mingling with the guests because she was not dressed well enough. Please join me in hoping that there is a LOT of negative coverage for her and her "exclusive party" in tomorrows paper.

On that rather aggressive note, I shall take your leave. Bye bye. I dont know if I will post from Calcutta. I have the means, but will I have the will..that remains to be seen. Children of Calcutta, you know where to reach me ( ronitadutta@gmail.com) in case you want to meet up etc. Am not sure how much time I will have, mother and aunt are being very firm about shopping being treated as priority number one, but I shall try to work around that.

Tata everyone :D ( I wish one could put that wide toothy smiley one has on yahoo messenger over here, would express my feelings very appropriately).

PS: For an absolutely lovely post on what home means to a Bong, please read this. She puts it waaay more eloquently than I can ever hope to.

18 Comments:

  • Oh you lucky girl you!!! No I'm not being envious. I'm being super envious, okay? But still....you go and have a great time. And like you promised, you have to remember me everytime you go eating phuchka and alukabli. And good luck with the shopping. Couldn't be more excited for you. Want detailed reports when you will be more available.

    By Blogger M (tread softly upon), at 6:14 AM  

  • Dutta!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you please buy a pretty Bengali Saree for me too? Pretty party types. Shall pay when we meet in B'lor. Also, me lost your ph#.Pls sms it. Have loads of fun & shop well. I never knew you could be so excited about marriage.heh!.

    By Blogger Seema, at 6:50 AM  

  • Have fun! The Bangalore and Karnataka story was excellent! I thought only Americans had weak geographical sense.

    By Blogger Kele Panchu, at 9:48 AM  

  • Phuchka and alu kaabli? Preferred over rolls from Nizam's at midnight or tele bhaaja in the evening as the roads glisten with afternoon rain? Wimmin!

    In the midst of your rose-tinted nostalgia, do remember to pack (a) towels with which to mop yourself any time you're in a non-AC environment (b) good talcum powder (c) deos, lots of deos, even if you believe that "horses sweat and men perspire / but women merely glow" (d) bug spray, unless you think baby cockroaches are cute (e) Odomos or its equivalent, for those times when water seeps into the junction box down the road and you have to stay up all night listening to the skeeters doing three-part harmony (e) shorts / capris and floaters, for the times when the water comes up past your knees.

    An umbrella would also be handy. If not for the rain, then to re-inforce your combative tendencies.

    J.A.P.

    By Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock, at 6:00 AM  

  • Have a grt time girl...make sure u come back fatter thx to all the lovely food u will be gorging on!

    By Blogger Ekta, at 9:37 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Prerona, at 10:24 PM  

  • the glee i tell u ..the glee..damn u damn u damn u damn u damn u damn u damn u damn u damn u!!!!! *&%*%^&*%^%()))%@#$#@%&*!!!!!
    im so jealous....sigh!
    have great trip...!!
    cheers!

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 1:33 AM  

  • @m: thank u thank u. will remember you this evening when im gulping down those phuchkas.

    @seema: i shall try. cnt promise...but will try.

    @panchuda: delhi people can beat americans hollow in any game of ignorance any day.

    @JAP: thank ye for such kind words of advice. Am well prepared to face the tremendous heat of Cal. I did live here for 18 long years and do know what to expect when I land up in the middle of summer. All the same its still home (and home is air conditioned which is such a blessing)

    PS: i do not need chatas to aid my combative tendencies. I, myself, am more than enough.

    @ekta: thankoooo. i do not care about gfatter...i cant get fatter than what i already am :P

    @prerona: sure..will mail you soon.

    @abhishek: hyuk hyuk. cheo kababs at peter cat have also been promised. should i try n remember you then?? :P

    By Blogger Ron, at 2:39 AM  

  • wow!
    Chutti time!!
    Sigh how I wish we cld trade places!!
    Cant even dream of a chutti now..sigh!
    Have fun!

    By Blogger Anand, at 2:54 AM  

  • SD and RD and SR... waaaaaaaaaa. But you won't meet MEEEE. Oh, I forgot. You don't like Delhiites
    :-(

    By Anonymous T, at 8:43 AM  

  • Behalar shoker bajaar e promise toothpaste paoa jay.....

    By Blogger Soham Pablo, at 4:49 AM  

  • People from that city? I know what you mean!
    And I can't belive you did that to the guy in the Food Bazaar!! :O

    By Blogger Rita, at 10:00 PM  

  • can u pls get me sandesh from calcutta??
    pls..pretty pls?

    By Blogger Ekta, at 2:18 AM  

  • @anand: thankoo :D

    @t: you are NOT a delhi-ite. i luuuuurrrvee u. we met at oh calcutta, plan to meet again on monday. n we are missing you very much indeed.

    @soham: behala ekhon joler tolaye, hence no toothpaste. must buy from blore n courier.

    @rita: neither can i, but i was SO mad that day.

    @ekta: sure honey. but how am i to send it across to you aalll the way in HK??

    By Blogger Ron, at 6:04 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Ron, at 6:05 AM  

  • ei bangalore - karnataka byapar-ta lethal. ta kolkata theke du-ekta naman na.

    By Blogger hutumthumo, at 5:11 PM  

  • "I was like his siste"
    ROFL. See what Indian movies are doing to our youth!

    By Blogger Twisted DNA, at 11:38 PM  

  • U back to blore.. counting 10 days... then you are not... i was out of bloggers for quite a while...

    Kirom achish... I am moving to Mumbai in Sep

    By Blogger cyberoam, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home