Of nothing in particular...
- My mother called up very excitedly from Sri Lanka to inform me that she has hugged a python...a real live one. "Khub aanshte gondho aar besh thanda bujhli, aar ektu heavy, but quite peaceful." (has a fishy smell and is quite cold, and is slightly heavy) was her rivetting insight into the look and feel of pythons. She has apparantly posed for a photograph with this snake, so I shall, in due course of time post that here. My father, when I spoke to him had a very resigned attitude towards this whole episode. I suppose he is quite used to my mother's eccentricities after being married to her for over 30 years. Ma was rather disgusted with the lack of enthusiasm on both my father and my sisters part towards any activities involving snakes.
- My aunt called me from Darjeeling to tell me that they had locked themselves out of their hotel room and were slowly freezing to death while the management tries to find the hotel keys. I suppose she felt that she should speak to her near and dear ones before she died but I did not appreciate being woken up at 1. am at night to be told this.
- The combined effect of these phone calls was that I got depressed about being in Bangalore (as opposed to partying with snakes in Sri Lanka or freezing to death in Darjeeling) and so I ate brownies and plum cake and insisted on Rahul telling me what a nice girl I am and how horrible his life would be if I wasnt a part of it. (Now that I think about it, he looked very stony and grim faced throughout)
- I watched The Phantom of the Opera, Veer Zaara and Bluffmaster over the weekend. Loved the first, fell asleep halfway through the second and enjoyed the last. The phantom was quite sexy, Shahrukh looked weird and acted badly as always, Riteish Deshmukh was surprisingly good and Abhishek was.....yummy!!!
- My parents met Rahuls parents last week and everybody liked everybody else and got along really well. My father of course couldnt stop himself from talking about how useless I am in the kitchen and how disorganised/messy I am and how he cannot imagine me managing a clean comfortable household. Much to my mothers relief, uncle and aunty found it tremendously funny and according to her "took it in the right spirit".
- Now everybody (except Rahul) is highly excited about the wedding. The fact that it will most likely happen only at the end of next year has not stopped people in my family from discussing what they will wear (my sister wants a Indo Western white lehenga outfit if you please! I have no idea what exactly she means) , what I will wear ( I have no thoughts on this topic right now) whether the rituals will be Bong style or Punju style,(Bong style involves that horrendous topor so Im rooting for Punju style) whether the groom will arrive on horseback( everybody except I thinks it would be great fun) and most importantly what food to serve (I have tons of things to suggest here if only people would listen to me).
- I have goofed up very badly (Stop asking what else is new!! grr) on the Coorg trip. All I had to do was book tickets. So I happily went and got tickets to Coorg, but not from...as in tickets for going there but not returning. the boy realized this fact day before yesterday when I proudly showed him the tickets and called me scatterbrained and sent me back, but by then all return tickets were sold out. Now we have 2 one way tickets , a resort reservation and no idea how to get back.
- My boss is making smoochy noises at a Channel V calender featuring semi naked women, Im rather traumatised as a result.
I cannot think of anything else to write so I shall stop and thank you all for patiently reading till now and....ooooooh...I do have 3 questions I would like answered:
- Is a baby fish called a fishling? Or a fishlet? If not then what the heck is it called??
- How does one ensure that paneer soaks up the masala properly and does not remain un masala fied on the inside while becoming very well masala fied on the outside?
- How does one cook mushrooms? Do you need to boil them or fry them before adding to the masala? Or do you just cut and wash and directly add?
My mother is busy cavorting around with snakes around her neck in a far off land, therefore Im having to cook for myself. And although I am quite untalented in this department I am also unfortunately very ambitious, therefore I find it difficult to stick to simple things like eggs and alu. Have truckloads of mushrooms at home and would like to get rid of them before they spoil...so please help.
Thank you in advance.
Happy New Year to all of you. See you all in 2006. Ta.