Life's Like That

Friday, December 23, 2005

Pajama party

It should be illegal to make people work on the Friday before Christmas! I am not motivated to do anything. I have been thinking about plum cake all day. I would like very much to go home right now, eat plum cake and then sleep.

Anyways, I have nothing significant to write about...maane I do, come to think of it, but am too lazy to do any such thing right now...so will just ramble on about nothing in particular.

Had a pajama party of sorts last night after a verrrry long time. Its so much fun to do all girly girly things every now and then.

What happened was that my family has taken off to Sri Lanka for a holiday. And I am alone at home. And the flat below ours is being renovated and therefore our half empty building is full of weird mistiry type people. And a few nights back, this one mistiry came and started banging on our door with full force...rattling the doorknob and everything. My mother's panicky cries of "Kaun hai"(please to be reading with horrendous Bangla accent) got no response. We peeped out of this window that looks out over the landing and saw this vague man in green lungi standing outside the door. After much shouting of "kaun hai, kya chaihiye" he looked blankly at us and went away.

Anyways, the point is that the whole thing was rather weird and scary. And my mother being highly paranoid( she insists on checking for thieves under all beds before going to sleep every night. Though what she will do if she actually finds one one of these days I really dont know) freaked. She is convinced that the man has somehow come to know that our flat has no male inhabitant and was trying to break in and rape maim rob kill etc. ( I dont know why she feels my father's presence will discourage all miscreants...he is a small non macho Bangali man afterall) . The possibility that he might have been drunk and might have confused the flats did not occur to her ( "dekhei bojha jachchilo bodh uddeshhe eshechilo" was her response to my suggestion. Translation: one look at him and you would know he was planning something bad). Anyways, she insisted that I dont stay alone at home while they are gone. (To be honest I was also a leeetle bit unnerved by the incident and agreed very quickly).

The point to all of this is that last night I stayed at Rahuls place with his brother V and sis in law N. V was away at an office party and Rahul was in Chennai..so N and I decided to do stuff we dont normally get to do...like watch girlie movies and eat fancy bread and cutlets for dinner, and put face packs on our faces and paint nails, discuss how amazingly disgusting/irresponsible/irritating V and Rahul are (e.g. of disgusting behaviour: sometime back when N was away, they washed their shoes and floaters in the washing machine!!! I was told that I was being stupid when I walked in on this and almost fainted and that noone ever made a rule that a washing machine must only be used to wash clothes. To my complaints that the machine was smelling, V told me very firmly that I was hallucinating!! N is yet to recover from the shock I gave her when I told her about this incident).

We also watched the new Pride and Prejudice. And HATED it. Its seriously bad. Anyone who has watched the BBC one starring *drooools* Colin Firth, will agree with me in saying this was really really bad. Keira Knightley is skinny. She is also very giggly and flightly. She would have made a better Lydia than Elizabeth. Bingley looks strange. Mr. Collins is not as ridiculous and sickening as he is supposed to be, the man who essayed the role in the BBC was soooo much better, this fellow tries too hard and fails miserably. The sets are strangely shabby and lack the sense of grandeur that Jane Austen's writing evokes. The editing is bad, the story moves forward in fits and starts, the clothes are shabby, someone should ahve brushed Keira Knightleys hair before shooting, it looks messy most of the time.

The worst part of the movie is Mr. Darcy. Where Colin Firth looked like the charecter was written with him in mind, this man(am too lazy to link names) looks like a ugly block of wood. Colin Firth (besides being INCREDIBLY HOTTTTT) looked proud and arrogant and yet in love with Lizzy Bennet. This fellow looks stony and scowls throughout. There is ZERO chemistry between Keira Knightley and the new Mr. Darcy. Their repartee is shallow and boring...unlike the old movie where the scenes between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy ooze chemistry. II developed a major crush on Mr. Darcy the very first time I read Pride and Prejudice; (I do know he is a fictional charecter, but Ive always had crushes on fictional charecters) a crush that deepened into love(not to mention lust) when I saw Colin Firth in that role(ooooooooooohhhhhhh). This fellow was a disgrace. Lovers of Colin Firth and Mr. Darcy please do avoid this one.

Ki aar bolbo. N and I stopped watching halfway through the movie and went to sleep very dejected and sad about the whole Darcy debacle. We should have just watched the BBC original, eaten ice cream and drooled all over the place.

Other than that, I had a very nice girl's night out (or night in..considering we stayed home and all) Tonight, I shall stay in my own house since I will have company. Tonight I will also attend an office party with (hopefully) loads of free alcoholic beverages, and nice food and everything. Tomorrow I shall sleep till 1 p.m.(or more) , then go and eat chicken roll (dont know why but I havvvve to have chicken roll from Lazeez), then drink some more and sleep some more. Sunday I shall again wake up as late as possible and eat brunch at Koshys (I want to eat something involving turkeys..never tasted turkey before), then eat lots of plum cake, buy a Santa Claus hat and watch Bluffmaster and then sleep. I like to plan ahead..makes you feel better about life in general.

I shall go and demand coffee now, Merry Christmas to all. Have fun this weekend(even those unfortunate children who have exams...*hugs*). Goodbye. God Bless.

14 Comments:

  • I had decided against watching the new Pride and Prejudice even before the movie came out. That is probablt still my fav book and agreed the BBC series was wonderfully done. I still drool over darcy and I really don't think anyone can hold a candle to the darcy that jane austen created.
    Looks like you had a great time. Stay safe and have a wonderful holiday ron!

    By Blogger M (tread softly upon), at 6:57 AM  

  • Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Ron!

    By Blogger good morning, midnight, at 9:09 AM  

  • Have a great weekend. Saw bluffmaster the other day..nice timepass and a decent remake of 'the matchstick men' (whats all the fuss about AB jr. tho?:-)).
    Cheers!

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 9:12 AM  

  • LOL my mother checks every bathroom in the house for thieves before going to bed! u'd better keep pepper spray with u.

    By Blogger rainbeau_peep, at 10:05 AM  

  • @m: a very very wise decision...bhishon kharap movie. and yes noone can come close to Austen's Mr. Darcy..what a man!!

    Have a great time with your cousin. Merry Christmas.

    @gmm: very merry christmas to you too. will wish happy new year next week :)

    A abhsihek: yeah most people told me its a nice timepass movie. will chek it out this weekend. as for AB junior...he is HOTTT!!!!ooooh!! i guess you have to be female to understand his charms.

    @rainbeau peep: what is with mothers and their paranoia? what on earth will they do if a theif actually jumps out at them from under a bed or behind thw bathroom door? your mom n my mom should meet...they would have such a nice time discussing their respective fears :)

    oh and trip is next weekend...new years. hopefully no animal will cross my path!

    By Blogger Ron, at 10:53 PM  

  • Ugh even though I am not a neat freak even i draw the line at washing shoes in the washing machine.
    And yes Merry Christmas. Eat lots of cake, party hard and come home safely.

    By Blogger Dreamcatcher, at 10:55 PM  

  • Thats why men are from mars and women are from venus. different planetic conditions and different revolutions. heheehhee

    By Anonymous r, at 1:03 AM  

  • Merry Christmas to you and all your readers!!

    Nilesh

    By Blogger Nilesh, at 6:08 AM  

  • hehe, thieves under the bed? i know this woman who locks every door, then makes her son stand behind her and literally watch her back while she prays fervently to her various gods for protection while she sleeps. your mum seems completely normal now, doesn't she? :D :D :D

    Merry Christmas to you too *big hug and warm kisses on BOTH cheeks* (I have no plans either :()

    By Blogger Rimi, at 12:58 AM  

  • @dreamcatcher: i knoooowwwwwww!! it was really very gross, and im anything but a neat freak!!

    hope christmas was good and jolly and you had tons of fun:)

    @rahul: sweetheart, planets have NOTHING to do with what is basicially DISGUSTING and UNHYGIENIC behavior!! if you ever dare to wash anything but clothes in any washing machine that we share.....grrr!!

    @nilesh: thank you, hope yopu had a wonderful christmas weekend too.

    @rimi: good god!!! my mother might want to tie all balcony door knobs together with ropes and all, and double check every conceivable lock before sleeping, not to mention theives under beds...but this takes the cake!!! ki kando!!

    merry christmas to you too...hope you had fun this weekend :)

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:15 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger death, at 5:56 AM  

  • @death: merry christmas to you too :)

    By Blogger Ron, at 8:42 PM  

  • Sorry I am a little late. Nice blog, punctuated by your bouts of lust for Collin Farrel or whoever..BBC guy.

    And yes washing machines are not meant to wash clothes only.. :D

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in Advance!

    By Anonymous bijoyyy, at 9:47 PM  

  • @bijoyyy: colin farrel!!!?? how can you confuse colin farrel with colin firth!!!!?????(although he is hot too) but colin firth is not only hot, he is a honeybun too!!!

    dont grow up to be disgusting like rahul n his brother...be good boy and stick to clothes when it comes to washing machines.

    happpppppyy new yeaarrrrrrr!!!!!*hugs*

    By Blogger Ron, at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home