Life's Like That

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Of nothing in particular...

Life is very peaceful and happy...well not really...but I am feeling very peaceful and happy anyways. Not to mention sleepy. I just figured out that next month I will have 10 events on one client alone...across India. Plus one more event in Bangalore for another client. Then in February I will have one more mega event. Everybody concerned is freaking out right now trying to figure out how to manage all this work and ensure everything goes off well. Everybody except me i.e. I think I stressed out as much as I could during the briefing, Im beyond all of that right now. Whatever will be will be!! Realizing that stress cannot make things better is a wonderful feeling...you feel very happy and peaceful!
Anyways, some snippets from my fascinating life for your reading pleasure:
  • My mother called up very excitedly from Sri Lanka to inform me that she has hugged a python...a real live one. "Khub aanshte gondho aar besh thanda bujhli, aar ektu heavy, but quite peaceful." (has a fishy smell and is quite cold, and is slightly heavy) was her rivetting insight into the look and feel of pythons. She has apparantly posed for a photograph with this snake, so I shall, in due course of time post that here. My father, when I spoke to him had a very resigned attitude towards this whole episode. I suppose he is quite used to my mother's eccentricities after being married to her for over 30 years. Ma was rather disgusted with the lack of enthusiasm on both my father and my sisters part towards any activities involving snakes.
  • My aunt called me from Darjeeling to tell me that they had locked themselves out of their hotel room and were slowly freezing to death while the management tries to find the hotel keys. I suppose she felt that she should speak to her near and dear ones before she died but I did not appreciate being woken up at 1. am at night to be told this.
  • The combined effect of these phone calls was that I got depressed about being in Bangalore (as opposed to partying with snakes in Sri Lanka or freezing to death in Darjeeling) and so I ate brownies and plum cake and insisted on Rahul telling me what a nice girl I am and how horrible his life would be if I wasnt a part of it. (Now that I think about it, he looked very stony and grim faced throughout)
  • I watched The Phantom of the Opera, Veer Zaara and Bluffmaster over the weekend. Loved the first, fell asleep halfway through the second and enjoyed the last. The phantom was quite sexy, Shahrukh looked weird and acted badly as always, Riteish Deshmukh was surprisingly good and Abhishek was.....yummy!!!
  • My parents met Rahuls parents last week and everybody liked everybody else and got along really well. My father of course couldnt stop himself from talking about how useless I am in the kitchen and how disorganised/messy I am and how he cannot imagine me managing a clean comfortable household. Much to my mothers relief, uncle and aunty found it tremendously funny and according to her "took it in the right spirit".
  • Now everybody (except Rahul) is highly excited about the wedding. The fact that it will most likely happen only at the end of next year has not stopped people in my family from discussing what they will wear (my sister wants a Indo Western white lehenga outfit if you please! I have no idea what exactly she means) , what I will wear ( I have no thoughts on this topic right now) whether the rituals will be Bong style or Punju style,(Bong style involves that horrendous topor so Im rooting for Punju style) whether the groom will arrive on horseback( everybody except I thinks it would be great fun) and most importantly what food to serve (I have tons of things to suggest here if only people would listen to me).
  • I have goofed up very badly (Stop asking what else is new!! grr) on the Coorg trip. All I had to do was book tickets. So I happily went and got tickets to Coorg, but not from...as in tickets for going there but not returning. the boy realized this fact day before yesterday when I proudly showed him the tickets and called me scatterbrained and sent me back, but by then all return tickets were sold out. Now we have 2 one way tickets , a resort reservation and no idea how to get back.
  • My boss is making smoochy noises at a Channel V calender featuring semi naked women, Im rather traumatised as a result.

I cannot think of anything else to write so I shall stop and thank you all for patiently reading till now and....ooooooh...I do have 3 questions I would like answered:

  • Is a baby fish called a fishling? Or a fishlet? If not then what the heck is it called??
  • How does one ensure that paneer soaks up the masala properly and does not remain un masala fied on the inside while becoming very well masala fied on the outside?
  • How does one cook mushrooms? Do you need to boil them or fry them before adding to the masala? Or do you just cut and wash and directly add?

My mother is busy cavorting around with snakes around her neck in a far off land, therefore Im having to cook for myself. And although I am quite untalented in this department I am also unfortunately very ambitious, therefore I find it difficult to stick to simple things like eggs and alu. Have truckloads of mushrooms at home and would like to get rid of them before they spoil...so please help.

Thank you in advance.

Happy New Year to all of you. See you all in 2006. Ta.

34 Comments:

  • hey..happy new year to u too! i do know that a baby fish is called a fry. shouldn't venture any guesses about cooking though...the world is a happier place if i am not in the kitchen.

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 2:38 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger death, at 3:50 AM  

  • happy new year. yeah, baby fish equals fry

    By Blogger death, at 3:53 AM  

  • Hey, I don't know abt baby fish (I m sure u arent surprised!) and I also dont knw about the paneer, and whatever I knw about the mushroom, I have already told you and still havent got a reply from u on tht! So sorry, cant help u much. And abt ur wedding, I have only one thing to say. PLS do not marry without a notice of 3 months!!! Tht is if u want all ur dear and near friends to attend :-).

    By Anonymous Gauri, at 4:33 AM  

  • Pythons are by nature harmless creatures so I can understand your mom's dissapointment. Would love to wrestle with one. I guess that will be simpler that making a mushroom based dish

    By Anonymous r, at 6:05 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger death, at 1:15 PM  

  • @abhishek: how unfortunate for a baby fish to be referred to as a fish fry ;)

    @death: thank , hope u have a wonderful new year. ill let gauri answer the last question.

    @gauri: i did reply to ur mushroom mail. the trick lies in soaking the damn things in warm salt water for abt 15-20 mins. for more details..wait till i mail you.
    as for wedding..of COURSE i shall let all my near and dear friends know well in advance of the date etc...and child u better not have any excuses for not making it!!

    @rahul: u should have waited till u ate the mushrooms before commenting darling...considering that u dint help one bit and ate it all...well...
    as for python..ma is back today, ill let the 2 of you discuss this at length.

    By Blogger Ron, at 8:50 PM  

  • Hi Death, sorry I still dont have a blog. Will let u know if I ever have one.

    By Anonymous Gauri, at 3:28 AM  

  • God, you are hilarious. Laughed off my chair at your mom's description of python and your dad's resigning himself to fate.

    Ok, I think baby fish are called fertilised egg.

    Next q: I have recently discovered existence of gourmet chef within self, so will advice.

    There is no way to get masala 'inside' paneer. Unless you make paneer bhurjee, in which case you mash it up and fry it with onions, tomatoes, etc, much like eggy counterpart.

    Mushrooms: You seem to know the trick. Only advice: don't do it for 15-20 mins. Waste of time, as 5 minutes will suffice. Fry with onions, tomatoes etc in the manner of eggs, paneer.

    And in case you find my style a bit monotonous, you can make a Continental mushroom veg by adding chicken stock to the curry (Maggi chicken cubes in hot water, in case stock sounds too exotic and undoable and all), plus some dried herbs and loads of garlic.

    P.S. Congrats on impending wedding. Another one bites the dust. Heh heh *Calvin's most devious expression*

    By Blogger The Marauder's Map, at 4:54 AM  

  • Congrats on impending wedding, 12 months in advance. Topor porbe na keno, topor wearing is the new fashion, Devdas, Parineeta, etc dekhoni? Whole India topor porchche. Python bolte Madhu Sapre/Milind Soman aweful ad'er kotha pone podlo. Keno jani na. Waiting for your Ma's pic embracing python.Loved Phantom too, majorly hot. Lara Croft:Cradle of Life'e Lara'r sidekick chilen. Mushroom khete bhalobashi, kintu eto kharap randhuni je banned from ranna-ghar, so you are not alone in your predicaments. And last, Happy New Year, keep safe, find some way of returning from Coorg, keep on blogging. Bor ghodai chode ashai bhalo, ki dashing lagbe, white knight in shining armour, bor asbe ekhuni, niye jabe tokhuni, etc. Sriman Prithbiraj'er kotha mone podche ki? Love, bye:D

    By Blogger good morning, midnight, at 10:32 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger death, at 10:50 AM  

  • Hi, just came across your blog while surfing. Great post - you write very well! Congrats on the upcoming wedding, wholeheartedly support you on rooting for the Punju style one. Have undergone the trauma of a Punju-Bong khichdi wedding six months back - both my dear husband and I looked like classic fools in the Bong headgear - would avoid it like the plague if I were you!!

    By Anonymous GM, at 7:29 PM  

  • @marauders map: Hah!! I KNEW my paneer was perfectly nicely cooked and there is no way of getting masala inside paneer peices. Hope Rahul reads this..he annoyed very much on this topic. the continental mushroom sounds very nice, I shall try it next year. Thank you :)

    @gmm: Topor oti horrendous jinish.and the female equivalent of it is no better. We will look like prize idiots wearing those things on our heads! Im being very firm on the matter of wedding headgear. Cholbe na cholbe na!! Apatoto aamar ma er mone khub dukhkho kano ki she was offered a king cobra to hug as well and she felt that hugging the most poisonous snake in the world might not be a good idea and refused(thank god) and she came to knwo only later that this particular cobra had had it fangs removed and was therefore harmless. She is regreting the missed opportunity.
    And ghoda na..ghodi..female horse..the gender of the damn thing is very important. Ki ridiculous filmy byapaar. Puro Barjatiya movie mone pore jaye.

    @gm: Hello and welcome. You dont seem to have a link to your own blog..pleaqse do link if yuou do have a blog, and in case you don't..well please do keep visiting mine :)
    You had a Punju Bong mixed biye too?? Very good.You can help me with the nitty gritties, my mother is panicking everytime she tries to understand the nuances of a Punju wedding. (I have offered to buy her a DVD of Monsoon Wedding for reference). And YESSSS!! TOTALLY agree about the headgear. kichutei porbo na!! Am being very very firm on that topic.

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:17 PM  

  • Hey, topor, mukut etc are very cute actually. Do it, I say. At least in the name of upholding Bengali tradition and kalchar? Am not being sarcastic, I had a very, very boring registered wedding that was over in exactly 2 minutes, so am very sentimental about all these long-drawn out ceremonies.

    By Blogger The Marauder's Map, at 11:24 PM  

  • Like Gauri, I too am sorry I don’t have a blog! I’m just a harmless lurker enjoying other people’s blogs (sheepish grin)! Am too lazy to start one :(

    Now, about the wedding. As you rightly point out, it has to be a ghodi – this is apparently quite vital to the proceedings. Secondly, prepare your family for the endless singing and dancing that will take place. My mehendi ceremony was very indicative of cultural differences – the Bongs were all hogging chaats in one corner and the Punjus were all dancing in the other!! Thirdly, a word of caution about the headgear. Amar biye te amiyo porte chaini, kintu last momente pandit kotha theke headgear niyeshe mathaye lagiye dilo!!! I didn’t think it would be good form to make a run for it, so I stayed put and suffered silently, but at your wedding I suggest you ensure that there are no topors/mukuts within striking distance!

    By Anonymous gm, at 11:31 PM  

  • @death: i shall tell you more about gauri my dear death. gauri is one of my two bestest friends. met her in college..we are very different in many ways(im silly, she is sensible and so on and so forth) but we are also very sinmilar in many ways (we both cannot dance to save our lives, hate prolonged shopping sessions etc). she is a total honeybun. she got married and moved to hyderabd in july and i miss her a lot. she is one of the reasons i dont want to disable anonymous comments on my blog. he husband is bengali, a very nice boy. total honeybun too. the wedding was great fun with me acting as translator between her folks and his folks. hope i have told you enough about gauri :) bye bye happy new year again.

    @marauders map: my wedding will be long drawn out prolonged and extremely tiring believe me..what with being a khichudi thing n all.not wearing topor mukut will not subtract from it at all!!!! boro bhoyanok jinish!! i cannot begin to imagine rahul in a topor..bwhahahahahahahhahahahahahhhaa!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:37 PM  

  • @gm: hya ghodi ghodar byapaarta rahul er ma khub mon diye aamake bujhiyechen. khub complicated.

    about headgear...ki bhishon....i will definitely ensure those things are nowhere around. aacha u had mehendi and sangeet and all?? besh besh. tumi toh dekhchi besh uselful lok :)

    i shall torment and torture you a lot about details and how you got it all organsied etc closer to the wedding. ekhon korata ektu barabari hoye jaabe bodhhoy.

    and yes! totally agree about the cultural differences. my parents and aunts etc are rather bemused about the necessity of dancing at a wedding while rahuls mom told me very seriously that to not have dancing and music and songs etc would be a great depribvation for their family!!!one of the many reasons my mother is rather stressed out.

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:42 PM  

  • Dilli te theke mehendi aar sangeet ceremony hobena??!!! Shei bhabhai jayna to! Delhi society te akdom naak kete jeto! Cocktail party hoyni shei joteshto!

    Don’t worry about the dancing too much, though!! When the time comes, all the Uncles/Aunties (including ur mom) will descend on the dance floor and shake their booty just a little bit!!!

    By Anonymous gm, at 11:53 PM  

  • Wow Ron, tht was too much for a day! I miss u too... Especially our aimless window shopping on Com street and M.G road...

    And gm, even I havent started a blog for the same reason - laziness!

    By Anonymous Gauri, at 12:20 AM  

  • @gm: delhi...yup, u would have been ostracised in Delhi society. but mine will be in good ol cal...shekhane koto dur koto bhalo mehendi etc hobe jaani na...dekha jak.

    ps: my mother dancing...hehehehehhee...that would be worth watching!! hehe!!

    @gauri: we shall wander around aimlessly on com street whenever you visit next and eat lots of lunch and feel ill later :)

    By Blogger Ron, at 1:07 AM  

  • Excellent post!! :D
    Having said that, I must proceed to say that I do not have answers to any of your 3 questions! :(
    Wishing you a very happy new year! :D

    By Blogger Rita, at 6:24 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Kele Panchu, at 3:13 PM  

  • Nice post.

    Was the python properly fed before the incident. Just curious! Or it has already gone into hibernation since its already winter. But again, is there any winter season in SL?

    In bengali the small fish is 'chara-pona' so if you translate, it could be called fish-plant! Fry sounds confusing.

    Keep eating the paneer cube while cooking, until you're satisfied.

    Mushroom was discovered as a food item by a bunch of lazy people, for another bunch of lazy people, so I guess you really don't have to cook it. :)

    By Blogger Kele Panchu, at 3:16 PM  

  • hey ron,
    Trust me blore is a much bettre option than darjeeling or srilanka...u will miss it like crazy when u leave it...coz I really do!!

    And ur blog is hilarious:-)

    Wishing u a fab year ahead-keep the happy spirits going:-)

    By Blogger Ekta, at 10:13 AM  

  • Happy new year.

    By Blogger Anil, at 6:15 AM  

  • "Ma was rather disgusted with the lack of enthusiasm on both my father and my sisters part towards any activities involving snakes."

    "Have truckloads of mushrooms at home and would like to get rid of them before they spoil...so please help.
    "

    ROFLMAO.

    Happy New Year!

    and, although I'm not scared of snakes (unless its a king cobra 5 feet away from me) posing with a python, considering its main task is wrining others' necks, is er, rather 'brave', I suppose.

    By Blogger BangaloreGuy, at 10:57 AM  

  • rita: new year greetings to you too. dont worry about the questions, have managed to find answers to all. tho the baby fish one seems a lil dicey.

    @panchuda: aamar blog e aashar jonno oshonkho dhonnobad dada. python bodhhoy kheye deye chobir jonno pose korchilo, kano ki ma ke kheye felar kono procheshta naaki sheh kore ni. and it wasnt sleeping either. so i suppose it wasnt hibernating.aar fish plant byapaar ta kamon jano egg plan gocher hoye jachche na??

    @ekta: well..bangalore is not all that wonderful anymore you know. i desperately needed a break from the mundane routine of city life..therefore the cribbing about not being in sri lanka or darjeeling. am feeling much happier after coorg trip.

    @anil: happy new year to you too:)

    @bangalore guy: yes! that was my point exactly..why wrap pythons around you neck when there is every possibility that it might wring your neck and eat you? but my mother insists that this python was very wellbehaved and looked at her with mild curiousity and thats all. im terrified of snakes so you can imagine my horror.

    By Blogger Ron, at 10:06 PM  

  • Great Post! My thoughts to your questions.
    1. Baby fishes are sometimes called fry or fingerlings. But baby sharks are also called pups!
    2. In my experience, you should cut the paneer in small cubes about 1cm*1cm*1cm. Leave them in the masala for atleast a couple of hours before re-heating and serving. Dont think they will remain unmasala fied after that.
    3. For mushrooms (whether button mushrooms or wild mushrooms, slice them thin, saute them in a little butter/oil and then add the other veggies.

    Congratulations on your 'imminent' marriage!

    By Blogger Anand, at 8:54 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:22 PM  

  • @anand: wow! u seem to be quite an accomplished cook! thank you for all the tips!! welcome to my blog and do keep visiting :)

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:29 PM  

  • yep...have a 3-yr diploma in Hotel Mgmt!! so do know a little bit about cooking! Sure to do that! Quite like your blog!

    By Blogger Anand, at 9:38 PM  

  • 'ello. appy new year.

    I was racing jet-skis in goa the day after new years.

    Don't know much about cooking. But i do know enough about snakes to corred R, who said pythons are basically harmless creatures. They're not. No animal is. Just that the `huggable' ones are used to human touch. Even then, they are to be handled slowly.

    As for the food, if you wanna do it camp style, you just chuck it all in the pan, cook it up and serve it. The better, more campy way, is to barbeque it :) On a brick bbq.

    anyway. happy newq year.

    -4

    By Blogger 4WD, at 10:54 PM  

  • @anand: wonderful. now my dear friend, you can rest assured that your own blog shall be spammed with several culinary queries :)hope you wont mind and all.

    @4WD: happy new year to you too. you were in goa?? coooool!!! coorg was great fun..more of that in my next post..which will also have pic of mommy with snake. did figure out the food queries..in fact mushrooms turned out to be delicious. and both my mother and rahul strongly believe that no animal is "harmful" per se..as long as you dont irritate/scare/intrude on their space they will not harm you..unless they are the maneating tiger variety of course.

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:01 PM  

  • nope won't mind at all! wife does it all the time!!

    By Blogger Anand, at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home