Life's Like That

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen meet the queen of faux pas

I am the undoubtedly the Queen of faux pas. I have a talent for embarassing myself ( and in this case, others too). I have perfected the art. Why things like this keep happening to me I reaaaallllllly don't know. ( Note to self: I donno...maybe because you persist in acting without looking, or thinking, or reveiwing your course of action you moron!!!!)
I have sent an ickily romantic (for lack of a better word) text message to the boyfriend's boss instead of the boyfriend.
There!! I said it!!!Now laugh all you want. Condemn me if you will. The message starts with personalised nickname version of his name (poor thing) which would of course leave no doubts in his boss' mind as to who it was intended for.
Before you ask me why it is that I have the boss' number saved,. lemme explain. His office went to Goa for a holiday. Since his phone is not on roaming he called me from his boss (N) phone to tell me that he had reached. Being super efficient I saved the number just in case I needed to get in touch with him urgently ( you never know, what if I had an accident and wanted to spend my last dying minutes talking to him?) . Anyways, this number was saved right before his number. And today after he got back, I wanted to send him this rather meaningless silly message about how glad I was that he is back etc and I sent it to N instead.(I think my father reads my blog so will not get into the nitty gritties of the message, although that would explain my total embarassment at this point) .
I would like to die right now. Would jumped off the building if I wasnt sure that all that would achieve was a few broken bones and lotsss of pain. Im mortified!!! I never want to meet N....EVER!!! In fact, R, if you want to end this relationship right now I totally understand. I mean really! Who would want to continue to date me knowing fully well that I'm capable of similar faux pas in the future? After all this is not the first time I've done something like this and I cannot guarantee it will be the last.Like I said, I am exceptionally talented at this.
Did I tell you guys about the time I called R's mom instead of my own mom? (Okkkk enough of the wisecracks already.. their numbers were similar). Early in the morning. This was much before they came to know of my existence (The story of why I knew her number is very similar to the "why I knew the boss' number" one..will not go into that again). I realized my mistake soon after I had dialled and hung up immediately. To my complete horror she called back saying "I got a missed call from this number". Quick witted that I am, I wriggled out of that one with this inspired reply: " I am sorry madam. This is a STD booth. I don't know who called you". (I had called from my landline thank god).
There was also the incident where I forwarded a dirty joke to a journalist instead of my friend with the same name. The journalist was much amused (and kept begging me to send him more and even sent me some similar things) though my boss was not..I was subjected to a lecture on being responsible and not taking the media lightly (Fine so this was my mistake, but come onnnn...they are people tooo, why must we treat them as gods? Im sure they too enjoy the occassional dirty joke).
Oh! and just last week there was another incident involving emailed forwards. And the countless times I have said the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong company..or run up to a person on the road, slapped him/her enthusiastically on the back and said hi only to realize that it was a complete stranger and not a friend as I had thought. I was also slapped on the face by a mad woman bang on Gariahat More once...why she wanted to slap me I don't know, and its not very relevant to this particular post so please ignore.
Anyways, I am utterly embarassed. Don't even want to know what happened when she read the message. *hangs head in shame*. I think I shall go home now. Im sooo sorry about all of this. I shall try to be a better and more careful person from now on. Promise.
:-(

19 Comments:

  • Kicchu bolar nei (nothing to say)...ROFL!!! and ROFL and ROFL and RO...

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 4:00 AM  

  • Oh god, i do the same thing all the time. always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and then hitting myself hard. Not that it works, i go and put my foot in my mouth all over again soon. I won't try to console you, just a small line my Old-English teacher is rather fond of, "that passed away, so may this." !!

    By Blogger good morning, midnight, at 5:53 AM  

  • hehehehe..hilarous..at ur expense though..lol..sweetie,it'll be ok..whats life without all this..i do the same thing, if its any consolation and so does g morn,midnite..

    By Blogger monku, at 10:41 AM  

  • @abhishek: im glad my traumatic existence is soooo amusing for you. hasho hasho...hv a great big goooood laugh at my expense...sometimes i feel like dng the same u knw :-)

    @good morning midnight: siiigh. then you know EXACCCTLY where im coming from. but this was his BOSS you knw...worse than most situations i land myself into.

    @monku: welcome and do keep visiting. im glad to say that R seemed to take this nice "keep the larger picture in mind" kind of approach to it. his boss was nice enough to call him aside and show him the message n not read it aloud for all to hear. so he wsnt too embarassed. n he even seemed to find it funny. thank god.

    By Blogger Ron, at 8:53 PM  

  • dun worry babes nobodys perfect..im not..u r not..nobody is..the beauty of life is in these imperfections, tw doc is coming to bglore son - wud u like to catch coffee while im there

    docs dope

    By Blogger Docs Dope, at 10:08 PM  

  • @docsdope: thank you for visitng but no i dont think i would want to.

    By Blogger Ron, at 4:10 AM  

  • Nice account of those tricky situations.Dont get too low now Ron, happens to the best of us! Hope you catch yourselves the next time :)

    I do plan to lease all those cartoons out to newspapers and plan on doing that once I finish 365 or more cartoons so they can use it a cartoon a day in their technology section. If you know someone who I can contact do ping me their contact/email (of course do check b4 forwarding just in case :)

    I visited gariahat once...was pretty crowded at the temple and seemed like sunny deol had a lot of fans for even his flop movies (ok i went in with a friend to kill time). I was in cal jus for a week so this is all i can manage now - tomar baadi kothai. Ami tumarke blog bhalo bashi.

    Have fun!
    Vijay

    By Blogger Vijay Krishnan, at 10:31 AM  

  • @Vijay K: Thats great!! Your cartoons are really good. You are in Bangalore right? I guess I put you in touch with someone or the other at all the newspapers in the city. (Im not in the business of PR for nothing eh!?) Whether they take it or not is of course upto them and also how well you can convince them. Lemme know when you want to start the process, I'll give you phone numbers and email ids :-)

    Im glad you like my blog..I like your cartoons too. But we must work on your Bengali you know :-)

    By Blogger Ron, at 8:50 PM  

  • He Bhogobaan !
    Ki re baba!
    Tobay I too did this once in office :( I had a talk with my boss, and after I went to my seat I wanted to tell a friend over the messenger how I got one up on the boss. Seconds after I typed in 'Man, you should have seen Mamu, he had his balls in his mouth', I realised I had sent the message to Mamu(boss) himself.
    Needless to say it was I who had my balls in my mouth till I found out that Mamu did not have me on his messenger list and had no idea who sent him the incriminating IM.

    By Blogger Soham Pablo, at 10:45 PM  

  • @soham pablo: hello there. well thank goodness for that. as for your comment on my previous post, i was born in kolkata and lived there long enough to LOVE the city. been in bangalore for about 8 years now. right through college (Christ) PG and well..work. am fond of bangalore too..enough to be be terribly disheartened by the state of the city right now but not as much as i love cal :-)
    i live in richmond town btw.

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:47 PM  

  • Ki re ki khobor... kamon cholchhe

    By Blogger cyberoam, at 2:15 AM  

  • @sayan: cholche ekrokom...protei toh parchihs...considering we r in the same city i dont understand why you must comment on my blog instead of calling.i tried calling u btw.

    By Blogger Ron, at 2:17 AM  

  • It's not you alone doing such goof ups.
    Most people do it. it's only few who come forward and admit such things.

    Goof ups happen quite frequently and is often the most funspirational part of life.

    Enjoy such moments....and let others have their part of smile too ... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • @anonymous: such kind words. thank you. and totally love the word funspirational...will use it frequently from now on :-)

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:01 PM  

  • I have bitched about boss to colleague and absent mindedly sent message to boss himself. Now top that!

    And PR guys treat us like gods??!! Am so glad to know someone, somewhere realises my importance from time to time. But seriously, write more about your work. It's great to see another perspective.

    By Blogger The Marauder's Map, at 2:04 AM  

  • @marauders map: didnt see your comment earlier...well...this PR girl does not treat anyone like god,media or no media...and holds the opinion that some PR people are insufferable fools (i should know, i sit right next to one!!) and that some journalists are complete donkeys too (one such donkey like journo asked a telecom client"so what is the difference between SMS and GPRS?" this from a person who writes for a tech magazine is absolutely unforgiveable in my opinion!! on whole most PR people as well as media are quite nice :-)

    By Blogger Ron, at 1:11 AM  

  • I know this is like a really offensive generalization, but to tell you the absolute truth I have met very few intelligent PR people in my life. They've either been abrasive and unnecessarily aggressive or plain dumb. I do have friends who are in PR, but professionally, I haven't met anybody with whom I could sit down and have an intelligent conversation. Really, I'm not exaggerating. Maybe this was because I was in Delhi till some time back or something, and I haven't really interacted with too many PR guys here. And for some more excruciating honesty, it was after I read your blog for some time that I realised you work in PR and was quite pleasantly surprised. Now don't kill me.

    For some really entertaining PR woes stories, read jabberwock. He's hilarious. Especially on this subject.

    By Blogger The Marauder's Map, at 2:36 AM  

  • @marauders map: hehehhe...should i take that as a compliment? i do know where you are coming from..its just that it REALLY pisses me off to have to suffer for someone elses stupidity and crap.
    as for jabberwock...yes i have read those anti PR rants...to be honest i started blogging after reading one post where he referred to some hapless(though i must admit extremely dumb) PR person as " PR creature". while i found the post hilarious and knew it was true, it did disturb me...i think my second post in this blog was about PR and the way the world sees it. check it out sometime :-)

    By Blogger Ron, at 4:40 AM  

  • You told me to read your blog and now you can not complain, right ? I also follow the rule - you mentioned that all the details in your blog is for parents' reading. Ok, I have not read everything - honestly !

    By Anonymous Baba, at 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home