Life's Like That

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Hug the parents!!

So I met his parents, They are really nice sweet people and definitely deserve a better DIL than me :-( ...I was an awkward nervous wreck through the evening.
His mom hugged me the moment I entered the house. Now those of you who know me will know that hugging is the one thing that makes me terribly uncomfortable. I don't hug...anyone!! Needless to say, I just froze!!! However this was'nt as bad or as noticeable or as horribly awkward as the non hug that happened when I was leaving. His mom wanted to hug me goodbye and I wasnt sure if I was supposed to move towards her or vice versa...as a result this awkward non hug kinda situation happened. Im told that his family is rather fond of hugging...a prospect that fills me with dread...nevertheless I shall try and look less horror struck n be less wooden log like when I hug his family members from now on. Siiiigh!
After the initial shock of the hug wore off, I must say his parents put me totally at ease by being so wonderfully NICE ....which is more than I can say about R....I am yet to see anyone looking more ill at ease!! (If you are reading this...you deserved that for refusing to say"Ron isnt it getting late? Don't you need to get home?" when I wanted to leave. How the hell was I supposed to jump up and say that I wanted to leave??? Grrrr!!!)
Other than the hugging fiascos, the evening went well; though I think uncle was rather disappointed to hear that I don't eat fish, don't know how to cook fish and don't intend to learn either. Neither of them seemed to mind the fact that I can't cook, but the "I will never cook fish" stance hurt their fish loving souls I think. Much as I would like to impress them, I think I must draw the line somewhere.
The bestessssstt part of the evening happened when I was leaving ( before the hug disaster ruined it all)....they actually gave me a gift...bought specially for me...and it was actually a sari. I was THRILLED!!! NOONE has EVER given me a sari..I think everyone considers me to silly to be gifted saris. Though I wear them only for special ocassions like weddings, festivals and Ashtami, I looove saris, I hope to learn how to handle them and walk properly soon. On the few rare occasions when I wear a sari, I usually borrow from my mother or my aunt. So even though I don't wear saris too often, I was thrillled to be gifted one by uncle and aunty. So thrilled that I was unsually proactive and got the fall pecco done in exactly 1 days time, and even ventured into the tremendous pre Pujo crowds in Gariahat on ponchomi to buy a blouse. I almost got trampled by a mob of angry blouse seeking women, but emerged alive...clutching mu airhostess sleeveless blue blouse. I wore the sari on Nabami and even though I say it myself, looked rather nice.
The whole point to this really long post is that I am extremely relieved that it all went off well. Spoke to his mom a couple of times after that...the M word is beginning to look a little less scary now....though Im still rather doubtful of my own abilities at keeping house.

8 Comments:

  • what????? bangalir mei hoye mach khayna?? ebong ranna korte janena???!!?? disgrace! chee chee.. lol..kidding la. what is it the smell in its raw state? thats it for most ppl i know who dont touch fish.

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 11:58 AM  

  • @abhishek: u sound JUST like my various aunts and uncles :-(...the smell in the raw state and even in the cooked state nauseates me...but R and his family seem extremely fishy...n keep demanding macher jhol...yuck yuck :-(

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:06 PM  

  • Pls get out of ur huggophobia...

    By Blogger cyberoam, at 10:57 PM  

  • @Sayan: its very difficult to overcome you see...but am trying my best...

    By Blogger Ron, at 12:19 AM  

  • Time will heal the wounds of indifference.
    Live by the hour and give by the minute and see the whole world bowing down to you.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM  

  • How rude of me! Totally forgot...Shubho Bijoya!

    By Blogger Abhishek Chatterjee, at 7:19 AM  

  • M word is still pretty scary for me here...so enjoy the change. U r post about garaihat brought back memories of my one trip to cal...park st, lake market, the trams n the metro...and me learning broken bengali "tumhaar baadi kothai?". If you like computer problem cartoons check them out at my blog http://www.sillygloop.blogspot.com Categorized cartoons: http://spaces.msn.com/members/sillygloop/

    Have a nice day. C'ya!
    Vijay

    By Blogger Vijay Krishnan, at 7:29 PM  

  • @anon: vry profound..but what wounds of indifference? Im not indifferent at all.

    @abhishek: shubho bijoya child...glad u had fun in Singapore er durga pujo.

    @Vijay: thanks for visiting...ur bengali is pretty good considering you visited cal only once.try visiting cal during durga puja witha resident bengali to show u arnd...more fun tht way :-)

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home