Life's Like That

Friday, September 02, 2005

weighty contradictions :-(

I have joined a gym..I REALLY need to lose weight. So am basically off any food that tastes nice...I eat depressing things like celery sticks and sprouts and sigh sadly n refuse the much loved chaats.

But thats not the point..the point is that other people always have a problem with how you look and how you eat. When I started putting on weight and I was perfectly peaceful about it, they would go "Isssshhhhhh!!!! you have put on so much weight!" or "How did you manage to put on so much weight?? Do something about it, dont eat junk food!" It was a different matter that at that point I felt totally at peace with the extra pounds, I was more interested in enjoying myself and was not really motivated to lose weight.

But now that I am highly motivated and have spent an astronomical amount of money on a gym membership and have seriously stopped eating anything that tastes nice, the very same people are singing to a different tune. "Beshi barabari hochche eta, dieting maane ei na je shob khabar chede debe. Ekta khele kichu hobe na." ( Loosely translated: You are overdoing everything, just because you are on a diet it does not mean that you will give up eating.One piece won't hurt you)...and this reaction because I refused to eat the coconut sweets my mother made (she has not made those in YEARS, but the second day of gymming I come home to see an entire box lying on the table...I guess she was just waiting for me to go on a diet...) My uncle who used to tease me mercilessly about my weight,growled "Jotoshob nekami" when I declined an invitation to eat chicken roll!! (I cannot translate nekami...I don't think there is a translation for that)

My trainer on the other hand throws a fit if I put on 0.5 grams, she glares disapprovingly at me and says "Tut tut!! This is a result of having rice instead of roti for lunch. You will have brown bread n salad for dinner!!" I am really quite tired of the contradictions involved in the entire weight loss process!! I would like to take off to a remote location where the only food available is low fat, low calorie and healthy and the only people around are either fatter than me and dedicated to their diets or the super fit trainers who are anyways obsessed with 'eating right'. I would like to come back to the normal world only after Ive managed to lose all the excess pounds.

But alas!!!! That is not to be. Am staying over at R's place today, and they are having pizza for dinner, and their reaction to my dietary restrictions..."Oh come on!!! have just a couple of slices. You wont put on weight with that !!" Siiiiiiiiiiigggghhhh....the contradictions continue!!!

5 Comments:

  • Hmm...Dont bother when they tell you that one piece wont matter. It does. And at the end of the day, its only you who will have to deal with the extra pounds, so hang in there.

    By Anonymous Archana, at 11:56 PM  

  • I relate.Totally!!!!!!!!
    Its a war sweety,there is no right side.Keep fighting & manage to stay afloat;-)

    By Blogger Seema, at 11:59 PM  

  • @archana and seema: Thank you for the kind words...sniff..please keep telling me all this!!

    By Blogger Ron, at 12:04 AM  

  • why does 'R' never comment on the site?

    By Blogger Seema, at 3:11 AM  

  • @seema: R chooses to be a silent observer. He reads but does not comment. hehe

    By Blogger Ron, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home